WAYS TO GIVE
The Barbour County Community Foundation provides you a simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to giving. We offer a variety of giving tools to help people achieve their charitable goals. You can make a gift of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or other assets to you community foundation. Most charitable gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law.
Each donor has a unique giving experience, tailored to suit his or her situation and goals. Here are the basics how you can create a fund at Ba
rbour County Community Foundation. For details, contact Leonard LoBello at LoBello@ab.edu.
- You make a gift to your community foundation. You can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets.
- We set up a special fund in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
- You receive tax benefits in the year your gift is made.
- Based on the type of fund you establish, you may be able to stay involved in the good works your gift makes possible. You can recommend an area or organization you'd like your gift to support, or rely on the community foundation's experienced program staff to determine and address the areas of greatest need in our community.
- Our board issues grants in the name of the fund you establish (if you prefer, grants can be made anonymously).
- We handle administrative details.
- Your gift can be placed into an endowment that is invested over time.
- Earnings from your fund are used to make ongoing grants addressing community needs.
- Your gift and all future earnings from your gift is a permanent source of community capital, helping do good work forever.
Below are some great giving options. Choose the one that's right for you.
Donor Advised Fund
A personal approach to giving.
Establishing a Donor Advised Fund allows you to make a gift to your community foundation, then remain actively involved in suggesting uses for your gift. You can work with the community foundation's professional program staff to suggest ongoing uses for the fund - targeting the issues you care about most. Grant awards are issued to charities in the name of the fund (or anonymously if you prefer). It's a simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to giving.
Meeting ever-changing needs.
When you establish an Unrestricted Fund, your gift can address a broad range of local needs including future needs that often cannot be anticipated at the time your gift is made. We evaluate all aspects of community wellbeing: arts and culture, economic development, education, environment, health and human services, neighborhood revitalization, and more. The flexibility of your unrestricted gift enables your community foundation's program experts to respond to the community's most pressing needs, today and tomorrow.
Field of Interest Funds
Connecting personal values to high-impact opportunities.
By establishing a Field of Interest Fund, you can target your gift to address
needs in an important area of community life: Arts. Aging. At-risk youth.
You identify your personal interest area when making your gift; our board awards
grants to community organizations and programs that are making a difference
in the area you select. Your gift stays flexible enough to meet community needs
in your interest area even as those needs change over time.
Investing in deserving students.
In creating a Scholarship, you invest in your community's future and show students you care. Your community foundation provides the expertise to help you meet your personal goals and awards Scholarships to deserving students. Your gift can help students from preschool to postgraduate achieve their lifetime dreams.
Helping local organizations sustain and grow.
Establishing a Designated Fund allows you to support the good work of a specific nonprofit organization a senior center, museum, or virtually any nonprofit charitable organization. Because it's given through your community foundation, your gift provides the organization you select not only funding, but planned giving and investment management services and the power of endowment.
Endowing your nonprofit organization.
Nonprofit organizations can also establish a Designated Fund or agency endowment at the community foundation. It's a simple and efficient way to build an endowment and help create sustainability for your nonprofit organization. The community foundation's experienced staff can also help your organization develop planned giving programs and assist with investment management and administrative details.
There is so much more we'd like you to know. For more information and ideas on ways to integrate your financial planning with charitable giving, ask you financial advisor to contact Barbour County Community Foundation's representative, Leonard LoBello at Lobello @ab.edu.